Posted by: everynation | December 27, 2008

Fruitfulness

frank-christie1by Frank Christie

We are called to bear fruit, fruit that will remain, which comes by resting! Well how does that work? I am glad you asked!

Edsel Burleson, in The World Evangelist said, “Too many churches are singing Standing on the Promises when they are in reality just sitting on the premises. Someone has said that every church is made up of willing workers, 10 percent are willing to do the work and the other 90 percent are willing to let them do it. Too many have learned that heaven will be a place of rest and are getting all practised up for it.”

In John 15:16 Jesus says “You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit—fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name.”

Clear indication that Jesus wants us to be fruitful!

In Matthew 11:28 – 30 Jesus also invites us saying “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

We need to URGENTLY realize that we are called to advance His Kingdom in the earth.

Here is how it is done:

1. We do not PRODUCE fruit we BEAR fruit

Branches of a vine do not produce fruit, they bear fruit! The vine produces the fruit! Jesus says in John 15:1 “I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener.”

We are instructed to abide in Jesus and He will produce the fruit and we will bear fruit.

2. TRYING does not produce fruit TRUSTING does!

God loves you as a person even more than He loves you as a leader. It brings Him pleasure just to think of you, and He longs to lavish you with His attention and affection. There is absolutely nothing you can do to make Him love you less or more. Stop trying and just trust Him.

Abiding, staying attached, recognising who is at the core of you are and revolving your leadership around this core is the resting part. Trusting Jesus who is at the core!

3. Fruitfulness comes from RESTING not RESISTING.

A yoke is generally a burden to the ox that resists the lead oxen. Jesus makes it clear that following him is a slave to master relationship, which involves submission and obedience. His yoke is on us. But that means the power comes from the One who directs our lives. Christ offers a liberating enslavement. The yoke’s really on him.

Charles Haddon Spurgeon: “The heaviest end of the cross lies ever on His shoulders. If He bids us carry a burden, He carries it also.”

Let’s bear fruit resting in and abiding in the one who has called us!

John 15:16

“You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit—fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name.”

Frank Christie is the senior pastor of Every Nation Somerset West, the founder of Thembalitsha and the author of Being Frank.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Categories

%d bloggers like this: